Kate, the Princess of Wales has announced she has cancer in a video released after weeks of speculation about her whereabouts and wellbeing.

Kate, the wife of Prince William, had undergone abdominal surgery in January and follow-up test results revealed a presence of cancer in her body.  

In a social media post to X, Kate began by thanking people for their support and understanding over the past several months, while she was privately recovering from surgery. 

A message from Catherine, The Princess of Wales pic.twitter.com/5LQT1qGarK

— The Prince and Princess of Wales (@KensingtonRoyal) March 22, 2024

“The surgery was successful, however, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team advised that I should therefore undergo a course of preventive chemotherapy and I’m now in the early stages of that treatment,” Kate continued.

She went on to discuss both the toll it’s taken on her family and the immense support she has received from them in return. 

“This of course came as a huge shock and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But most importantly it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them and to reassure them that I’m going to be okay. 

“As I’ve said to them, ‘I am well,’ and getting stronger everyday by focusing on the things that will make me heal in my mind, body and spirits. Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.”

She then asked the public for privacy during this difficult time. 

“We hope that you’ll understand that as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment.”

Kate ended her post by taking a moment to acknowledge the toll cancer takes on the population at large, telling others who are suffering similarly not to lose hope. 

“My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I’m able,” she said. “But for now I need to focus on making a full recovery. At this time, I’m also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For everyone facing this disease in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope, you are not alone.”

“It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family,” said the Princess of Wales. “But I’ve had a fantastic medical team who’ve taken great care of me, for which I’m so grateful. In January, I underwent abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was noncancerous.”  

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau addressed the diagnosis in a statement posted to social media.

My thoughts are with the Princess of Wales, her children, and the entire Royal Family following the news of her cancer so courageously shared.

On behalf of Canadians, I’m sending my support as she undergoes treatment. We’re all wishing her a swift recovery.

— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) March 22, 2024

By

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *